Improve your Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan?
We believe that a digital marketing strategy is essential to take advantage of the growing opportunities from digital marketing, yet even in 2020, many companies don't have a digital marketing strategy.
Our recent Managing Digital marketing research report (a free download) showed that almost half (45%) of companies don't yet have a planned digital marketing strategy.
How to structure a digital marketing plan?
An integrated digital strategy will give you a foundation for all the key online marketing activities we recommend in the Smart Insights RACE digital marketing planning framework. This integrates 25 essential multichannel marketing activities covering all parts of the customer lifecycle broken down in these sections:
- Plan - Use a data-driven approach to review your current digital marketing effectiveness, customize analytics, set up KPI dashboards and SMART objectives create a strategy of prioritized improvements to how you deploy digital marketing media, technology and data to increase leads and sales
- Reach - Build awareness using the 6 key online marketing techniques which will drive visits to your site.
- Act - Encourage interactions on your website or social media to help you generate leads for future
- Convert - Use retargeting, nurturing and conversion rate optimization to remind and persuade your audience to buy online or offline if phone and face-to-face channels if these are important to you.
- Engage - Increase sales from existing customers by improving personalized communications using web, email and social media marketing
Digital marketing strategy: How to structure a plan? Success factors
An effective digital strategy will help you take the right decisions to make a company successful online. A strategy process model provides a framework that gives a logical sequence to follow to ensure inclusion of all key activities of strategy development and implementation. We recommend the SOSTAC planning approach.
A Digital Marketing Strategy should involve a review to check that all of your capabilities are in place to help your organisation manage all of the digital touchpoints. But which capabilities are important, which do you need to review?
A successful Digital Strategy should be built on reviewing 7 core capabilities which are strategic approach, performance improvement process, management buy-in, resourcing and structure, data and infrastructure, integrated customer communications and customer experience.