I would say 5 trends in rail for 2021 are (in no particular order):
- Hiring to fill positions vacated and created due to rebounding economy in both marketing and operations.
- Turning equipment and reducing empty car miles: trying to avoid taking cars out of storage, especially cars committed to one commodity.
- Track maintenance: replacing ties, repairing rail, encouraging rail customers to upgrade their tracks, etc.
- Upgrading computer systems, particularly in operations to improve car handling.
- Creating new 5-year plans, taking into consideration the impact of the pandemic.